Uncomplicating Algebra is a practical, must-have resource from Dr. Marian Small that helps teachers understand how to teach and assess student learning of algebra. This resource shows:
• teachers how to uncomplicate the teaching of algebra by focusing on the most important algebraic ideas that students need to grasp, and
• provides support for differentiated instruction.
Each topic includes a brief discussion of underlying ideas, including:
• brief mathematical background,
• suggestions for appropriate representations of specific mathematical ideas, including equations, drawings, and manipulatives,
• cautions about misconceptions and situations to avoid.
Each topic also includes thoughtful concept-based questions that can be used for classroom instruction, practice, or assessment.