Thought-provoking and high-interest novels at accessible reading levels Orca Sports, Orca Currents and Orca Soundings novels focus on current, relatable topics that students may encounter in their everyday lives, such as racism, mental health, diversity and bullying.
Each Orca novel comes with:
- High-interest age-appropriate content for ages 12+
- Accessible content at Grade 2-4.5 reading levels
- Free online teacher guides with discussion questions, classroom activities and example exercises
Easy-to-order curated collections with titles chosen to help students extend their thinking and comprehension and connect with real-life issues, key themes and initiatives.
- Theme Sets: Bring specific issues into the classroom with these titles hand-picked to inform students and spark discussion
- Classroom Sets: Developed to kick-start or add to your classroom library, these classroom sets span a variety of topics to engage students with varying interests
- Nelson Literacy Orca Theme Sets: Aligned to match units from Nelson Literacy 7-10, these titles reinforce content for struggling and reluctant readers
Downloadable Teacher Guides Feature:
- Connecting to the Text: Discussion questions and classroom activities to help students relate to characters and topics
- Connecting to the Curriculum: Example exercises to help students use vocabulary, creative writing and art to demonstrate what theyve learned while reading
- Connecting to the Students Ideas for Exploration: Questions to encourage students to think critically about events in the novel and help them form their own opinions and ideas